It has been more than twenty years since we started our homeschooling journey. There have been many moments when I questioned myself and wondered, "Am I doing the right thing for my children?" Like every parent, I want to give them the best foundation possible, and sometimes that uncertainty can be overwhelming.
That is one of the reasons why I posted Bible verses on the walls of our previous home during the time my children are still little. They serve as daily reminders—not only for my children but also for me—that nothing is impossible when we put God at the center of our lives. Whenever doubts begin to fill my mind, His Word reminds me that He is the One leading our family, and that His plans are always greater than mine.
Years ago, I was not as self-assured, assertive, or confident as I am today. Although my Apo (grandmother) faithfully reminded me every day that I was beautiful, pretty, and loved, I still struggled to see my own worth. My childhood was simple and ordinary. I grew up in an environment where life was not always easy. Every day seemed to require hard work just to accomplish even the simplest things.
As the youngest among my siblings, one thing I will always be grateful for is that I never had to beg for love or attention. My family may not have had much materially, but they gave me something priceless—their love. Looking back now, I realize how blessed I was to grow up knowing that I belonged and that I was cared for.
But if I could go back and speak to my younger self, I would tell her that her value was never determined by her abilities, achievements, or the opinions of other people. Her worth had already been established by God long before she ever understood it. I spent so many years trying to prove myself, believing that I had to earn acceptance or become "good enough." I now know that God had already accepted me long before I learned to accept myself.
Perhaps that is why I understand my children differently today. Homeschooling is not only about teaching mathematics, science, language, or history. It is about shaping hearts, building character, strengthening faith, and helping them discover who God created them to be. Academic success is important, but it is not the greatest measure of a successful education. If my children grow up loving God, walking in His ways, treating people with kindness, and living with integrity, then I believe we have accomplished something far more valuable than good grades or impressive achievements.
There are still days when I question whether I am enough. There are moments when I compare myself to other parents or wonder if I could have done things differently. But every time those thoughts come, God gently reminds me that these children were never entrusted to me by accident. He chose me to be their mother, knowing all my strengths and all my weaknesses. His calling always comes with His grace.
Looking back over these past seven years, I can clearly see God's faithfulness. He has provided wisdom when I lacked it, strength when I felt exhausted, and peace whenever fear tried to take over. He has patiently molded not only my children but also me. In many ways, homeschooling has been God's classroom for my own heart.
Today, I no longer want to measure success by the world's standards. Instead, I pray that our home will always be a place where Christ is honored, where learning points us back to our Creator, and where my children will always know that they are deeply loved—not only by us as parents but, most importantly, by God Himself.
The journey is far from perfect, and neither am I. But one thing I have learned is that when God is at the center of our home, every lesson, every challenge, every failure, and every victory becomes part of His beautiful plan. And for that, I will always be grateful.


No comments:
Post a Comment