Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Marriage

How Do You Know He's a Keeper?

When I read this list, I couldn't help but smile because it reminded me of my own marriage. No, our marriage isn't perfect. We've had misunderstandings, difficult seasons, financial struggles, and moments when we had to choose love over pride. But looking back, I can honestly say that God gave me someone worth keeping.

We've been together for twenty five years now, yet my husband still makes me feel loved. We may not always send long, sweet messages like we did when we were younger because life has become busier with work, children, and responsibilities. But I have learned that love isn't measured by the length of a message—it's shown through everyday actions.

He has always made me feel beautiful, even during the seasons when I struggled to see my own worth. There were times when I doubted myself, but he never stopped believing in me. Sometimes, we need someone who can see the beauty in us before we learn to see it ourselves.

One thing I truly appreciate about our marriage is that we don't let problems stay unresolved for long. We may disagree, but we choose to talk, pray, and forgive. We've learned that winning an argument is never more important than protecting our relationship.

He has never taken advantage of me. Instead, he has always respected me as his partner. He supports my decisions, especially when I chose to homeschool our children. Even when the journey wasn't easy, he believed in me and trusted my heart as a mother.

One of the things I admire most about him is that he is my biggest cheerleader. There were many times when I doubted my abilities as a teacher, as a mother, and even as a person. He would gently remind me that I was doing better than I thought. Sometimes, all we need is one person who believes in us until we learn to believe in ourselves.

He also loves my family as if they were his own. Marriage is not just about loving one person; it's about embracing the people who helped shape them. Watching him care for my mother has always reminded me that love extends far beyond the two of us.

Like every couple, we've both made mistakes. But I've learned that saying "I'm sorry" doesn't make a person weak. It shows humility. In our marriage, we've both had to apologize, forgive, and begin again more times than I can count. That willingness to start over has made our relationship stronger.

Most importantly, my husband has always pointed me closer to God. He doesn't just encourage my dreams—he supports my desire to grow in faith. That, to me, is one of the greatest gifts a spouse can give.

Marriage isn't about finding someone perfect. It's about choosing each other every day, even when life becomes difficult. Butterflies eventually become deep friendship. Romance grows into commitment. Feelings mature into faithfulness.

Looking back, I realize that a "keeper" isn't someone who checks every box on a list. A keeper is someone who stays, grows with you, prays with you, laughs with you, forgives you, and continues choosing you through every season of life.

I thank God because, despite our imperfections, He gave me not only a husband but also a lifelong partner, my greatest supporter, and someone who continually reminds me what faithful love looks like.

"Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." — Mark 10:9

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails